Validity of Prophecy
The Bible tells us:
1. Melchizedek was King of Salem (Genesis 14:18) which later developed into Jeru(salem).
2. He was Priest of the Most High (God). (Genesis 14:19)
3. Is before and above Abraham. Blesses Abraham and receives tithes from Abraham. (Genesis 14:20)
4. He is an immortal being: a ‘priest forever’ (Psalms 110), ‘without
record of father and mother or ancestral line, neither with beginning of days nor ending of life.’ (Hebrews 7:3)
5. ‘resembles the Son of God’ (Hebrews 7:3)
6. Is above Jesus. Jesus is ‘a High Priest forever after the order of Melchizedek. (Hebrews 6:20)
The Urantia Book tells us that:
Melchizedek is a Son of God below the order that Jesus is from
2. After the failure of Adam and Eve he was sent here to begin restoring the divine plans for our world. (UB 853)
3. He was here on our world, beginning around 2000 B.C., for approximately 100 years as an adult physical being of the realm. (UB 1015)
4. His main goal was to prepare a people that would understand and recognize Jesus, Son of God and Son of Man.
5. He first had to establish monotheism, the concept of the One God, so that the Son of the One God, Jesus, could be understood. This was accomplished mainly through the Patriarchs and Prophets of Israel, especially Elijah whose successful campaign established the One God over and above the multitude of tribal gods (Baals) previously in existence. (UB 1062)
6. He brings God’s covenant to Abraham(UB); he is the‘messenger’ of God’s covenant with Abraham. (Micah)
7. He collaborated with the Prophets to bring God’s plans and perspectives to man (Israel). (UB). In addition there is a multitude of other information about Melchizedek in The Urantia Book which fills out our knowledge of this previously mysterious figure.
The Dead Sea Scrolls tells us:
1. Melchizedek is one and the same as ‘the Lord’ in the Old Testament (when not referring to God Himself.) (DSC 11Q13) This agrees with statements in The Urantia Book.
2. Melchizedek is the Lord/Messiah who comes in the last days when "all the nations" come against modern Israel as prophesied by the Old Testament Prophets (11Q13) This agrees with The Urantia Book statements to the effect that Melchizedek is soon to be our Planetary Prince, a World Messiah in residence. (UB 1025 and 1251)
The correlation of the information in the Dead Sea Scrolls, the Prophets, and The Urantia Book is a very important observation that suggests a connection to a common source. That source can only be the source of all truth, the divine kingdom of heaven, from which God Himself is directing the revelation of truth to his evolving sons and daughters of the material world.
We know now that not only did Melchizedek minister in semi-material form after his physical ministry, but also that he "collaborated" with the prophets. This semi-material collaboration with the Old Testament prophets resulted in the prophetic Old Testament scripture we have today. Melchizedek collaborated with Abraham, with Moses, with Jacob, with Elijah, with Isaiah, with Jeremiah, with Ezekiel, with Daniel, with the twelve "minor prophets" Joel through Malachi, with the Teacher of Righteousness of the Dead Sea Scrolls, and with Enoch. Each of these prophets have yet much to reveal in dawning light of our 21st century. Melchizedek calls to us through 2,500 years of time.
The Urantia Book also tells us that the later prophets (Isaiah through Malachi) were more accurate than the earlier prophets such as Samuel. We will therefore focus our study on the later prophets listed above. The Urantia Book also explains that the prophets’ understanding of God’s motives and nature was conditioned by the cultural beliefs of their respective times. The prophets therefore confused, at times, God’s holiness and righteousness for anger, God’s far-seeing wisdom for retribution, and His intense concern for the welfare of His children for jealousy. With time, the improved understanding of God’s loving and merciful nature progressed to a climax in Second Isaiah (Chapters. 40-55), with respect to whom:
No more beautiful proclamations about the heavenly Father have
have ever been made.
As always, then, we must work with truth and error side by side, and use the generously bestowed wisdom and information made available to us through The Urantia Book.
did not cease to minister words of truth to the world when
the prophets of old made an end of their utterances. And, we
ourselves should "aspire to become the living prophets of the
Most High and the spiritual heroes of the coming kingdom."
And, "Jesus had an unerring ability for the recognition of
truth, and truth he never hesitated to embrace, no matter from
what source it emanated.
With regard to 1Enoch, consider:
While in the synagogue library at Nazareth, among the
apocalyptic books, which he had been studying, the manuscript
called the "Book of Enoch" … proved very intriguing to him
(Jesus), and he read and re-read it many times. … No other
scripture was so near the truth as this story (about the son of
man) in this only partially accredited "Book of Enoch"
What other great truths might we find in 1Enoch?
The Dead Sea Scrolls are important because they provide crucial missing information to the overall prophetic picture of the Old Testament.
Let us not forget the Master's advice regarding scripture interpretation.
The Scriptures are sacred because they present the thoughts
and actions of men who were searching for God . . . they contain
much that is true, very much, . . . but these writings also contain
much that is misrepresentative of the Father in heaven, the loving
Father I have come to reveal to all the worlds. (Jesus)
Nathaniel, never permit yourself for one moment to believe the
Scripture records which tell you that the God of love directed your
forefathers to go forth in battle to slay all their enemies . . . Such
records are the work of men, not very holy men, and they are not
the word of God. The scriptures always have, and always will
reflect the intellectual, moral, and spiritual status of those who
create them. . . Many earnest seekers after the truth have been, and
will continue to be, confused and disheartened by these doctrines
of the perfection of Scripture (Jesus).
The authority of truth is the very spirit that indwells . . .The
revelations of divine truth are not sealed except by human
ignorance, bigotry, and narrow minded intolerance.
Jesus did not hesitate to appropriate the better half of a
Scripture while he repudiated the lesser portion.
The Urantia Book tells us that Melchizedek’s name is removed from scripture, here we see it being put back in by the Teacher of Righteousness of the Dead Sea Scrolls sect.
This remarkable document (11Q13) tells us several things. First, that the Qumran sect interpreted scripture as we are doing right now. They substituted Melchizedek’s name for "the Lord" designation used in the original scripture. This sect must have still retained at least some of the truth about Melchizedek and his role in the history of Israel. Second, this document confirms the statements in the Urantia Book pertaining to the Lord/Melchizedek confusion, i.e., "Lord" is erroneously used instead of "Melchizedek." The Dead Sea Scrolls reverse the process and puts Melchizedek back in place of the ‘Lord’ designation in scripture. This correspondence between the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Urantia Book mutually validates both sources, as neither source could have had access to the other. (Urantia Book published in 1955 before 11Q13 had been made public.) Lastly, the document, by its truth, indicates that the Qumran group is an heir to the "river of truth running down through the ages" in the form of sacred scripture.
God never angers, we project our human feelings onto him; but He is an infinite, never changing and perfect Being. He is the source and center of all existence, all creation, and all reality. The Urantia Book teaches us that it is our perceptions of God that change and that God is eternal and unchanging. When we are at the beginning of our development we fear the great and powerful God, but as we develop, we begin to understand that God’s true motive towards us is one of love. Our fear evolves through awe, reverence, and appreciation, and finally to love. "Fear is the beginning of wisdom, but love is at its end." The Urantia Book tells us that "Jesus did not hesitate to appropriate the better half of a scripture…" and that he "appropriated the positive portion…" (Paper 159). All human truth is partial and incomplete. We must always separate the wheat from the chaff, using both the external facts available and the internal guiding of The Spirit of Truth. Logic and intuition are both necessary and interdependent. The Urantia Book is the stone on which such a philosophy will be built. And so, we proceed, appropriating the best in scripture, as did Jesus himself.
"The Dead Sea Scrolls have revolutionized the study of the Bible, early Judaism, and early Christianity." (Dead Sea Scrolls, Michael Wise, 1996) Here are some facts about their discovery and publication taken from, Dead Sea Scrolls, Michael Wise.
Dead Sea Scroll Facts
1. 100 BC The vast majority of scrolls were written in first century BC.
2. 1947 AD The first scrolls were found in the Judean desert.
3. 1948 The first scrolls were published.
4. 1947-1956 Eleven caves with scrolls were discovered.
5. 1947-1956 There were 15,000 fragments found in cave four alone.
6. 1948 The jurisdiction at this time was the government of Jordan.
7. 1950-1977 The "official team" of a small number of scholars published six volumes of scrolls during this time period; less than half of the total volume.
8. 1977-1991 The "Official team" refuses to release the scrolls for public study. This is called "the scandal of the century" by prominent scholar Geza Vermes.
9. 1991 Zion Wacholder reconstructs scrolls from a detailed concordex using a desktop computer.
10. 1991 Legal action was threatened against the monopoly
11.1991 Emanuel Tov,the new editor-in-chief announced the free and unconditional access to all photographs of Dead Sea Scrolls.
Whenever there is such flagrant abuse and secrecy, one must suspect the worst. Perhaps someday we will know the true history of the scrolls as it transpired in the first fifty years after their discovery.
Here are some facts about 1Enoch the book and Enoch the man.
1. Ethiopic Enoch = 1Enoch
2. 1Enoch is the oldest. 2 and 3 Enoch are later works.
3. Enoch was the seventh descendent of Adam and Eve in the Bible.
4. Enoch "walked with God. Then he vanished and God took him." (Genesis 5:24)
5. Enoch was the son of Cain and Ramona, and he led the Nodites.(UB 849)
6. Enoch was the first mortal fused with his thought adjuster.(UB 514)
7. Enoch is one of 24 members 'Urantia advisory council.' (UB 513)
8. The Book of Enoch was an inspiration to Jesus.(UB 1390) The title "Son of Man" was taken from the Book of Enoch. (UB 1390) Of all scripture the Book of Enoch "was nearest to the truth" regarding Jesus' identity and mission as assessed by Jesus himself. (UB 1390).
9. Enoch is said to have been taken away by God, saw the secrets and mysteries of the universe, the future of the world, and the predetermined course of human history (Biblical literature).
10. There are three parts to 1Enoch.
11. 1Enoch was found among the Dead Sea Scrolls pushing its date of origin back to at least 100-200 BC (except for part 2, see below).
12. Part 2, the Similitudes, is the part containing all the references to the Son of Man and is the only part not yet found among the Dead Sea Scrolls. Therefore, its dating is unsure (? pre-Christian or not).
13. The New Testament was significantly influenced by 1Enoch.
14. Many early Church fathers were inspired by 1Enoch.
15. Many copies of 1Enoch were found among the Dead Sea Scrolls. 1Enoch was probably one of the most authoritative and popular scriptures of the Qumran Community.
16. After the fourth century A.D. 1Enoch was apparently suppressed as heretical by the Church due to its references to the physicality of the fallen angels who were said to have had sexual relations with the 'daughters of men.'.
17. The entire Book of Enoch not discovered again until 1773. It was brought to Europe from Ethiopia.
18. The book survived as a whole only in Ethiopia. Why? Was it destroyed by the church?
19. 1Enoch is directly quoted in Jude and 2Peter of the New Testament in reference to danger of a perverted form of Christian belief which claimed that it was only necessary to have faith. The overriding concern of these two New Testament books is that the believer feels that he or she is otherwise above the biblical laws and commandments. This belief mainly took the form of sensual and sexual indulgence. Jude and 2Peter reject such licentiousness and state that the fate of such believers will be like the angels or "Sons of God" who sinned by descending from heaven and having intercourse with daughters of men. (See Genesis 6:1-4). The story of these "fallen angels" is discussed in 1Enoch. The Nephilim of the Bible are the Nodites of the Urantia Book (UB 856) and are the descendants of the original disloyal 'Dalamatia staff of one hundred' (UB 758), and who became the 'eighth race to appear on Urantia' (UB 822).
This presentation is a summarized quote from the book, "The Kingdom of Heaven is at Hand" by Edmund J. Roache.
Finally The Truth